Friday, April 27, 2007

Leukemia is a pain in the butt, or, a bit of a "detour" for Margie

Ok, so I'm editorializing todays title. Margies had a bit of a set back and I'll explain as best I can and maybe she'll pick it up
where I left off. Also, check out the comment posted by Susie on Margies last post as her comment explains some of this also.

Spoke with Cathy this morning and she explained that from last weeks bone marrow biopsy, they found leukemia cells.
That means that she's not in remission and if she's not in remission they won't do a transplant. BUT, the good news is that
the bad cells were found in "patches". So, sometime next week I think, they'll be doing a procedure that involves attaching radiation to antibodies (from a mouse!? huh?) and then the antibodies "find" the bad cells and get-em'.

I don't even pretend to know how in the world that all works.

So, then she's in isolation five to ten days (!) due to the fact that she'll be all aglow with radiation and there are some crappy side effects, then they'll schedule the transplant again. (once they do another bone marrow biopsy and determine that they got the leukemia cells)

Obviously, I need more information but in the meantime, I'm working putting a couple of links on the site for you that explains the antibodies function and what the procedure is.

I'm sure Margie and Robert are frustrated and upset as we can only imagine the roller coaster they have to endure. But as Susie points out in her comment, they are a positive, healthy people in a world class facility and completely dialed into the best care. I must also point out that when I was there over the weekend, once again I was witness to a level of grace that was a privilege to be around.

God speed.

-K

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen, did you find out if it was
    ten days in isolation or two?I am
    wondering if the doctor told your
    mom more information after my mom
    left.Hope your doing okay, rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    in the literature that Margie and Robert were given it states 5-10 days, but of course that depends on the patient and the individual treatment so hopefully in mom's case it'll be much less
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, so sorry about the name!I did not know until a little while ago you changed it.I have to ask if anyone in the family has seen her paintings?I
    was very impressed, i also got a kick out of your dinner blogs.Mom spoke with jeanie and she is coming up on friday just to let you all know.
    Love, rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    you are so cute! You can always call me Kathleen- I just have one of those names that has about 10 different options- why not?
    I never pass up an opportunity to plug my work:
    http://www.katesalenfriend.com
    my blogs at
    http://www.katesalenfriend.blogspot.com and
    Randy who is the person who makes dinner at our house EVERY NIGHT, (yes, I know how lucky I am)
    is at:
    http://www.whatsrandymakingfordinner.blogspot.com
    (that one started cause girlfriends call me and say:
    "what's Randy making for dinner?" So it became a joke.
    Haven't kept up as much as I"d like, but will be trying to update more often.
    In the meantime, I am focused on Mom's blog and of course my site and blog.
    Thanks for the props!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

if you must...

 
eXTReMe Tracker