Monday, March 10, 2008

No news is good news

Margie's not writing, so here I am again. Missed all of you and by the look of the tracking that we have on the site, you're checking in (albeit less regularly) and haven't seen any new info.

So, here I am.  I'll just  throw out some factoids as I think that's an easy way to convey what I know and avoid telling some long story. 
- bone marrow biopsy done two weeks ago- I think around feb. 25- as of friday, she hadn't heard anything back so I of course took that as a "no news is good news" type of message.
Lord know's when there's something bad, the bearer of the news manages to contact the patient 
(in this case) chop, chop.  
M will be doing some blood work at the Hutch which is part of the package as she is a recipient of a transplant  there and thus, willingly gives her blood (and more) for research so that other cancer patients can benefit from what the Hutch learns from her case. (So much we don't know!)
-M did mention that she had some unexplained pain in her hip that was keeping her from walking. When she'd gone in to see Doc Picozi, he'd done an x-ray (always looking for that GVHD,  doncha know) but hadn't found anything to  be concerned about.  Since then, she'd reported that it seemed to be getting better.
- When I called about a week ago, M was about one week post biopsy which apparently was rough (as they can be) I had my dad, R on the phone and then Margie on the other line and of course, when I asked her how she was feeling, she said her usual "oh, I'm fine" and dad piped in with: "you are not, tell her you feel like crap" 

Here's what popped into my mind:
-how lucky to have a spouse after 51 years that tells it straight.
-51 years! oyvey. 
-glad Dad spoke up and said that, as it's good to deal with what's real, and there's nothing wrong with that, even for a stiff upper lip lassie  like Margie.
-cancer sucks

But, alas, isn't everything soooooo much better than it was a year ago, 9 months ago? you get the idea. Of course, easy for me to say. I'm not the one going through all of this. But how incredibly fortunate we are that we can move on with our daily affairs, dealing with  the mundane and not hyper-focused on Margie, the leukemia and the outcome of her transplant.

How blessed I feel
Love, 
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you must...

 
eXTReMe Tracker