Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THE MUTHA IS BACK

(this post written by Kathleen as told by Margie) Kathleen will italicize anything she wants to say....

Of all the things that could have happened, here it is again. I was cured, I had every reinforcement I could hope for and two weeks ago, re-diagnosed with leukemia.

And now it's back to the blog and my wonderful life with cancer.

( I wanted to write goddamm cancer, but mom tells me this:  when Bill Szabo wanted to say expletives like s.o.b. , he'd say "stone of a peach"....I say I'm allowed to say what I want about cancer and trust me on this, bill would agree with me.)

Back in february of this year, I wanted to continue my almost daily workouts at the gym with weight lifting, yoga, treadmill and stretching. I was starting to peter out. I didn't feel like I could make those daily trips to the gym.

My energy was getting lower and lower and felt weaker by the day. I was having pain in my left knee, leg and foot. I couldn't walk several blocks, always just too tired. I started a series of visits to the family doctor and was given a variety of possible causes, including sciatica.

Three trips to the emergency room due to knee and leg pain, doppler tests, and it was concluded that I had a blood clot behind my knee. I was started on blood thinners, giving myself twice daily heparin injections in my abdomen for two weeks before starting on coumadin to further thin my blood.

Nothing was helping. My knee was getting larger, and the leg and foot continued to swell until very hard.

After seeing my pulmonary doctor, he examined my knee and leg and declared that this was not a blood clot and sent me for an MRI. the MRI showed clear evidence of a leukemic mass or tumor that was putting pressure on blood vessels and nerves.

Unfortunately, weeks turned into months as doctors looked at my symptoms and said it could be any number of things.

The MRI gave firm evidence of a firm diagnosis of a mass of isolated leukemic cells. I saw my oncologist then who has been with me since 2006, he immediately prescribed radiation to the left knee and leg and a bone marrow biopsy two weeks post diagnosis.

As of now, I don't have the results of the biopsy yet. The oncologist is planning for a lumbar puncture but has not said when.

I have been in touch with the SCCA, (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) who oversaw my stem cell transplant of 2007.  The SCCA is waiting and will receive all my test results from my oncologist. I remain a patient of the SCCA.

I am confident that I will benefit from the expertise and the knowledge that the SCCA has in the treatment of leukemia. At this time, I am nearing completion of twelve days of localized radiation to my left lower extremity.

My oncologist also referred me to a neurologist because I have a great deal of trouble walking and keeping my balance. I had a very satisfying visit with this doctor today, July 16th.

He believes that the symptoms I have on the balance and the poor walking can be attributed to the pressure on the nerve, but there may be no damage to that nerve. Once the pressure is relieved (which is the purpose of the radiation) to shrink the tumor,  it will take many weeks for the therapeutic changes to become apparent. There are important changes already apparent: some reduced swelling and hardness of the calf,  and slightly reduced pain.

Its taken a lot of stamina to take the ferry to Seattle every day for the last two weeks, but I have been very much helped by a medical pass where we are able to drive straight onto any boat, without  a possible 1 to 2 hour wait.

It has been quite a shock for our whole family because we thought that this was well behind us after seven years.

Our children have been here to spend time with us, and will be continuing as much as they are able to be here during this time period of many questions as to my total condition. But, we will always look forward to a happy outcome, especially with their love and support.

I want to thank Kathleen for pushing me to cooperate with her for continuing this blog. I know that there are many of you that want information about what is happening with me and to be kept up to date on developments. I dreaded having to verbalize for this blog, what the last five months have been, but I always believe there is hope and I believe that God is watching over our entire family.

That includes our four grandsons. Thank you,  Kathleen.

(I will be posting every week or as needed to keep everyone abreast of what the latest developments are on Margie's condition.)









No comments:

Post a Comment

if you must...

 
eXTReMe Tracker